New Spinal Stenosis Treatment Program with Dr. Barrieau
Chiropractor Dr. Jared Barrieau has completed additional post-graduate training in the treatment of lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS), and he has a special interest in working with this population.
Our Spinal Stenosis Treatment Program includes a combination of manual therapy, special exercises, instruction on body-repositioning techniques and self management strategies which have been shown to be effective for LSS.
- LUMBAR SPINAL STENOSIS: Narrowing of the spinal canal or spinal foramen, where the spinal nerves travel and exit the spine to supply the lower body. If there is enough narrowing, it can cause compression of the nerves in the canal or in the foramen.
- NEUROGENIC CLAUDICATION: When the stenosis puts enough pressure on the nerves, they get compressed and this blocks their blood supply. Neurogenic Claudication is when the spinal nerves are oxygen deprived but are asked to work, which causes buttock or leg pain.
Common Symptoms Include
- Bilateral buttock or leg pain
- No pain when seated
- Symptoms worse with standing, walking, low back extension
- Wide stance with walking
- Increase in urinary frequency and urgency
Degenerative spinal stenosis typically becomes symptomatic for people in their 50s and 60s.
Our focus with the Spinal Stenosis Treatment Program is on improving standing and walking ability in individuals with LSS, with an ultimate goal of improving quality of life and maintaining independence.
For more information about chiropractic care at Trent Health in Motion, CLICK HERE
Looking to book an appointment for the Spinal Stenosis Treatment Program? BOOK HERE